MICHIGAN HARDCORE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MICHIGAN HARDCORE

You are not connected. Please login or register

Official comic/graphic novel thread

+5
Timmy Mac
johnhein
V2.0
Joe P
Tomas
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Official comic/graphic novel thread Empty Official comic/graphic novel thread Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:22 pm

Tomas

Tomas

Don't know if this has been done since I'm hardly around anymore

buttt

I guess just talk about what you like/dislike. Recommend stuff? That sorta deal.

https://www.facebook.com/tomasxIV

2Official comic/graphic novel thread Empty Re: Official comic/graphic novel thread Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:53 pm

Joe P

Joe P

This is the thread I've been waiting for.

There is a big event coming up from DC called "Blackest Night" which takes place mostly in the Green Lantern books. It is the third part of a sort of trilogy by one of DC's premiere writers, Geoff Johns.

This is going to be amazing.

Now, it seems to me that Green Lantern tends to be a hit or miss character/characters for a lot of comic enthusiasts. This might be because of the intergalactic entanglements they get into and the basis of their powers being that of the emotional spectrum. I can see how these might be some lame concepts but, I assure you, they are not.

The first Part of the Green Lantern Trilogy by Geoff Johns is called "Rebirth":

Official comic/graphic novel thread Rebirth

This is the story of how Hal Jordan (the silver age Green Lantern) returns from the dead. Awesome.

The second part of the Trilogy is called "The Sinestro Corps War":

Official comic/graphic novel thread SINESTRO1

This story is about the establishment of the Yellow Rings of Fear and the war between The Green Lanterns and the Yellow Lanterns. Double awesome.

The final chapter of Johns' Trilogy starts next week and it's called "Blackest Night":

Official comic/graphic novel thread Blackest-night-1

This story will be insane. That's all I'm going to say.

If you want to get the full story, pick up "Rebirth" and "The Sinestro Corps War". If you don't have the money for the trades, you can just jump in and pick up "Blackest Night" on it's own. Geoff Johns is an amazing writing and you won't be disappointed with any of this.

The new "Batman and Robin" series by Grant Morrison and Frank Quietly has been great, even though it's only two books in.

"Captain America" has been and always will be superb under Ed Brubaker. Check it out, especially since they're bringing back Steve Rogers.

"Flash: Rebirth" is another Geoff Johns book that I'm really into at the moment.

I guess I love DC more than Marvel.

Suck it Stan Lee!!!

3Official comic/graphic novel thread Empty Re: Official comic/graphic novel thread Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:51 pm

V2.0

Nerds.

Just kidding, atleast you dont LARP.

4Official comic/graphic novel thread Empty Re: Official comic/graphic novel thread Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:57 pm

Tomas

Tomas

I love comics and graphic novels.
I don't really get into Marvel/DC/Cape comics though.

The Goon is my favorite American comic,
followed closely by The Walking Dead.

My favorite manga is Berserk,
followed closely by Vagabond.

Recently I read Blankets, and it was amazing.

Warren Ellis, Garth Ennis, Ben Templesmith, Steve Niles, and Alan Moore books are great as well.

5Official comic/graphic novel thread Empty Re: Official comic/graphic novel thread Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:19 pm

johnhein

johnhein

V2.0 wrote:atleast you dont LARP.

i take offense to that.

https://www.facebook.com/johnhein

6Official comic/graphic novel thread Empty Re: Official comic/graphic novel thread Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:07 pm

Tomas

Tomas

Thor wrote:I love comics and graphic novels.
I don't really get into Marvel/DC/Cape comics though.

The Goon is my favorite American comic,
followed closely by The Walking Dead.

My favorite manga is Berserk,
followed closely by Vagabond.

Recently I read Blankets, and it was amazing.

Warren Ellis, Garth Ennis, Ben Templesmith, Steve Niles, and Alan Moore books are great as well.

Good thing Rorik logged out of my account.

7Official comic/graphic novel thread Empty Re: Official comic/graphic novel thread Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:08 pm

Tomas

Tomas

Joe P wrote:This is the thread I've been waiting for.

There is a big event coming up from DC called "Blackest Night" which takes place mostly in the Green Lantern books. It is the third part of a sort of trilogy by one of DC's premiere writers, Geoff Johns.

Now, it seems to me that Green Lantern tends to be a hit or miss character/characters for a lot of comic enthusiasts. This might be because of the intergalactic entanglements they get into and the basis of their powers being that of the emotional spectrum. I can see how these might be some lame concepts but, I assure you, they are not.

This is the story of how Hal Jordan (the silver age Green Lantern) returns from the dead. Awesome.

This story is about the establishment of the Yellow Rings of Fear and the war between The Green Lanterns and the Yellow Lanterns. Double awesome.

The final chapter of Johns' Trilogy starts next week and it's called "Blackest Night":

If you want to get the full story, pick up "Rebirth" and "The Sinestro Corps War". If you don't have the money for the trades, you can just jump in and pick up "Blackest Night" on it's own. Geoff Johns is an amazing writing and you won't be disappointed with any of this.

The new "Batman and Robin" series by Grant Morrison and Frank Quietly has been great, even though it's only two books in.

"Captain America" has been and always will be superb under Ed Brubaker. Check it out, especially since they're bringing back Steve Rogers.

"Flash: Rebirth" is another Geoff Johns book that I'm really into at the moment.

Suck it Stan Lee!!!

Green Lantern has always been a DC dude that I always kinda liked. I don't really collect any DC though. Only DC title I've ever read is the Gotham Central series.

8Official comic/graphic novel thread Empty Re: Official comic/graphic novel thread Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:44 pm

Joe P

Joe P

Thor wrote:

Suck it Stan Lee!!!

Green Lantern has always been a DC dude that I always kinda liked. I don't really collect any DC though. Only DC title I've ever read is the Gotham Central series.
That's cool. Give "Rebirth" or "Sinestro Corps War" a shot, you will dig it. Even just the "Sinestro Corps War" trade would probably suffice.

I was more into Marvel books myself until recently. I just feel like the Marvel Universe is over saturated with this Dark Reign stuff. And with Wolverine. Don't get me wrong, I love Wolverine. I just hate it that he's everywhere at once. Plus he's not as bad ass as he used to be. I do read far more Marvel books than I do DC books. Of course, they put out more books than DC does a week. I just feel that the DC books that I do read are better based on their content.

Have you read any of Grant Morrison's run on Batman?

9Official comic/graphic novel thread Empty Re: Official comic/graphic novel thread Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:28 pm

Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac

V2.0 wrote:atleast you dont LARP.

Dude... I couldn't agree more x 1,000,000,000,000,000

https://www.facebook.com/timxmacdonald

10Official comic/graphic novel thread Empty Re: Official comic/graphic novel thread Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:49 pm

Tomas

Tomas

Joe P wrote:
Thor wrote:

Suck it Stan Lee!!!

That's cool. Give "Rebirth" or "Sinestro Corps War" a shot, you will dig it. Even just the "Sinestro Corps War" trade would probably suffice.

I was more into Marvel books myself until recently. I just feel like the Marvel Universe is over saturated with this Dark Reign stuff. And with Wolverine. Don't get me wrong, I love Wolverine. I just hate it that he's everywhere at once. Plus he's not as bad ass as he used to be. I do read far more Marvel books than I do DC books. Of course, they put out more books than DC does a week. I just feel that the DC books that I do read are better based on their content.

Have you read any of Grant Morrison's run on Batman?

I know what you mean. This whole Dark Reign thing is really bringing me down. I'm really picky when it comes to the Dark Reign stuff. I'd say Secrect Warriors and DR-Punisher are the best titles out right now. If you haven't checked em out, I'd advise you to do so.

I hate, hate, hate, haaaaaaaaaaate Batman. So no.

11Official comic/graphic novel thread Empty Re: Official comic/graphic novel thread Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:19 am

dominic vargaz

dominic vargaz

posers!

just kidding. but seriously very excited for the blackest night arc. VERY into the walking dead. also, for fans of the walking dead - try out a book called 'locke & key'. it's by joe hill, and is in that same sort of horror vein but with less crude art. he's doing six part installments and the third installment comes out this fall. the other two have been out for a little while now. it's really picking up steam cos this shit is selling for a lot on the 'bay.

https://www.facebook.com/dominicvargaz

12Official comic/graphic novel thread Empty Re: Official comic/graphic novel thread Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:55 am

Rorik

dom just dom wrote:posers!

just kidding. but seriously very excited for the blackest night arc. VERY into the walking dead. also, for fans of the walking dead - try out a book called 'locke & key'. it's by joe hill, and is in that same sort of horror vein but with less crude art. he's doing six part installments and the third installment comes out this fall. the other two have been out for a little while now. it's really picking up steam cos this shit is selling for a lot on the 'bay.

I started reading Locke & Key a bit in the local comic shop here in MP, and I wasn't crazy about it. Maybe I'll give it another chance.

I recently just started reading The Boys by Garth Ennis. Get into it.
Epilogue by Steve Niles is great as well.

Kick-Ass is like B9 hype in comic form. It's not bad though.

13Official comic/graphic novel thread Empty Re: Official comic/graphic novel thread Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:15 pm

dominic vargaz

dominic vargaz

agreed about kick-ass. not interested it in at all.

14Official comic/graphic novel thread Empty Re: Official comic/graphic novel thread Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:37 pm

Tomas

Tomas

dom just dom wrote:agreed about kick-ass. not interested it in at all.

It's really whatever. It's a solid series but it's not worth all the hype it gets. I'll tell you what does need more hype-Irredeemable. Get into it.

15Official comic/graphic novel thread Empty Re: Official comic/graphic novel thread Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:47 am

Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes

Read Chew, it's a new book from image about a cop who gets memories from the things he eats.

16Official comic/graphic novel thread Empty Re: Official comic/graphic novel thread Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:04 pm

Rorik

MarcSpector wrote:Read Chew, it's a new book from image about a cop who gets memories from the things he eats.

I actually just picked up the first two issues of that yesterday. It's really fucking good. Stoked for more.

17Official comic/graphic novel thread Empty Re: Official comic/graphic novel thread Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:41 am

Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes

Rorik wrote:
MarcSpector wrote:Read Chew, it's a new book from image about a cop who gets memories from the things he eats.

I actually just picked up the first two issues of that yesterday. It's really fucking good. Stoked for more.

My comic guy recommended it to me and it's been great.

18Official comic/graphic novel thread Empty Re: Official comic/graphic novel thread Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:17 am

Joe P

Joe P

No one read Blackest Night #1?

19Official comic/graphic novel thread Empty Re: Official comic/graphic novel thread Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:22 pm

dominic vargaz

dominic vargaz

i've only read green lantern: prelude to the blackest night.... it was fucking awesome and disturbing

20Official comic/graphic novel thread Empty Re: Official comic/graphic novel thread Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:24 pm

DillonAntulis

DillonAntulis

transmetropolitan.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum